• Home
  • Fire Protection FAQ’s

Fire Protection FAQ’s

How do I know what fire protection my building needs? 

The Fire Risk Assessment will review the building and appropriate legislation and guide on what is needed in each building. The Fire Risk Assessment is the primary legal document that sets the standard for the building. Building Regulations and all appropriate legislation should be considered at the Design stage of a new building. 

How often do my Fire Alarm Systems need to be serviced?  

The minimum service frequency stated in BS5839-1:2017 is every six months. However, large systems, complicated systems, and systems with defects may require more frequent service visits. 

How often do I need to test my fire alarm system?  

The building user should complete a weekly manual call point test every week. This test should be recorded in the fire logbook, and a different call point should be tested weekly. If there are 52 manual call points, it will take 52 weeks to sample all the manual call points. If a building runs multiple shifts, a test should be completed during each shift pattern so that all staff are familiar with the sound of the fire alarm. 

Which buildings need fire dampers?  

Any Building with ventilation ductwork that passes through a fire compartment wall should have smoke or fire dampers installed in the ductwork to protect the fire compartment line. 

Do fire dampers need to be maintained? 

Yes, all fire and smoke dampers must be maintained at least annually to meet the requirements of BS9999; for some buildings with a high risk of damper failing or where they are located in an environment where they could become contaminated, more frequent servicing would be required. 

How many fire extinguishers do I need?  

BS5306-3 details the number of Extinguisher a building needs to cover the basic level of protection; in addition, the Fire Risk Assessment may have additional requirements for specific risks. 

How often do my Fire Extinguishers need to be serviced?  

All Fire Extinguishers require an annual service in accordance with BS5306-8; in addition to the primary service, all water, water and powder Extinguishers require an extended service every five years, and Co2 Extinguishers require an overhaul every ten years. 

What is an AOV? 

An AOV is an automatic opening vent, a form of smoke control that lets smoke escape from a building to let occupants escape, or fire service operatives enter safely. There are various smoke control systems, from simple window openers to multi-floor shaft systems to complicated mechanical fan extract systems. 

How often does my smoke control system need to be maintained?  

All smoke control systems should be serviced at minimal intervals every six months in accordance with BS7346-8.

Our vast wall of company and team accreditations demonstrate how we take fire protection seriously, and that you can trust our team to help you stay compliant.

For more information on our Fire Alarm System Design Service contact our dedicated team