Mile End Hospital

For nearly 15 years, we have maintained the fire alarm system at Mile End Hospital, London. This project took five months and was completed on time. 

outside-view-of-mile-end-hospital-london-B4CXGJ

Problem

We have carried out various upgrade projects on this site, and the loops and field devices are different ages.

The site’s network of 24 Morley IAS ZX panels running Apollo protocol devices was at the end of its life. The trust required us to update the network but reuse the existing network cables.

There was no record of the existing cable routes, and the site has multiple outbuildings. This made the cable routes very hard to trace.

Solution

Throughout the site, we replaced all the fire alarm panels with Advanced MxPro 5 and added extra repeater panels. Our team established the cable routes by completing a full cable survey on weekends. 

The old Morley network was split into sub-master sections and used radial circuits for repeaters. We had to rewire several areas so cables were ready to connect during changeover as the Advacned network topography is different and all panels and repeaters sit on the same network loop. This involved having all panels ready-wired to convert the multiple loops and radials into one complete loop when the panels were swapped over.

The wiring work took four weeks. While that was being carried out, we used a four-loop panel run on a temporary supply at each panel location. This was to temporarily move the loops one at a time from the Morley panel to the Advanced so we could auto-learn the devices on and then move back onto the Morley panels and check that they were fault-free.

We created an entire site system on the engineer’s laptop, enabling us to make the new configuration files, zones, and device text. Plus, reverse engineer the cause and effect to pre-load all panels with the new cause and effect.

We slowly split the network, meaning the Hospital had Morley and Advanced panels at the main entrance for two weeks. Once the wiring became a loop, we split it and ran one half of the loop on the Morley network and the other on the Advanced. On each day of changeover works, we had to be careful that the cause and effect between floors still worked, so some days, we had to change more panels than others.

After changing each panel, we conducted thorough testing before moving on to the next.

We installed a temporary BT Redcare monitoring system to an ARC (Alarm Receiving Centre) for maximum safety. This was to monitor the Advanced network. As the Morley was on the existing monitoring and Nimbus setup, we also supplied a temporary Nimbus cloud connection to the Advanced network. This was to notify estate staff of events, so they had a notification on all parts of the system.

Once we had changed over all the panels and the loop was completed on the network wiring, we replaced the final Morley panel in the main entrance so that the entire Hospital ran on the New Advanced MxPro 5 network.

During these works, each panel only had an hour of downtime for the swap-outs, for which our team provided a fire watch in the wards.

Throughout the works, our onsite team rectified several earth faults that the Morley network didn’t see. 

To demonstrate that the interfaces worked, were connected, and operated the 3rd party equipment they were connected to, we prepared a full cause-and-effect chart and interface schedule upon project completion.